Today I have been doing some remedial work on a Hornbeam, that had some bad carving done a lot of years ago.
It turned out that there was a lot of rot inside of the original carving that I removed and treated with tree gum, which is made from natural resin.
After I added more wood , to fill out the hollowness, I then refined the carving and treated again.
This is a photo of the tree when it arrived here quite a while ago, as the photo shows it had lost it's apical branches, which need to be grown again.
The tree today, still holding onto it's leaves from last year.
A close up of the refined carving.
Looks a lot more natural than before I started.