Message to visitors

Welcome to my blog. My diary of my life in the Bonsai world.
Please click on photos for full size view, and feel free to leave a comment, good or bad.!!







Friday, 3 April 2015

Recycle or throw away.

Does anyone recycle used compost or throw it away?

I for one recycle as I think you are throwing away a lot of money, when all it takes is a bit of work with a sieve.

This is how it starts, after being left to dry for a while.As you can see it is full of old root, weeds and broken down compost.

After the first sieve this is the larger size.

Standard size.

Shohin size.

Even the dust that is left does not go to waste, as I find this great for starting cuttings and also accent plants.

All I have to do now is add some extra Akadama/ Kiryu compost to make a very nice mix.
Depending on the type of tree I also mix in a natural compost as well.

I have been doing this for a long time and find it works very well.








1 comment:

  1. I recycle all mine too. There's a pile of about three cubic metres which supports a healthy crop of weeds. The weeds go in the compost bin and after sieving I use it for planting up collected material.

    ReplyDelete