Message to visitors

Welcome to my blog,Please click on photos for full size view, and feel free to leave a comment, good or bad.!!







Thursday, 19 January 2017

Bonsai Thursday with Dave.

Today when Dave came over we had a look at this Hawthorn tp see if we could correct some of the faults it has.
---------------------------------------
The main fault is the center branch on the left, which just does not look right to me.


I tried lifting the end of the branch to make a separation from the lower branch, Not good, so try something else.


A change of viewing angle, better but it makes the thicker part look very flat.


We came up with the idea of splitting the branch to enable it to be pulled up, then lowered the pad to be more in line with the apex.


I think this is a better option once the branch is lifted a little more.





Wednesday, 18 January 2017

Another clean up.

Today I thought I would do a clean up on my Hawthorn group.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a good time of year to do this work as you can see the branch structure better and remove any growth that can not be seen when in full foliage.


Just by removing crossing branches and any parts that have grown into thick knuckles, it opens up the canopy really well. I also took the opportunity to clean up the surface of the compost. I am also contemplating a repot this spring as this group has been in this pot for about ten years now and could benefit from it.


I also noticed the Black birds are starting to look in the pots for grubs and making a mess of the benches.


It's not as if I don't feed them as I have loads of food out for them.

Tuesday, 17 January 2017

Natter night 16th January 2017.

A quiet night ,so we spent the night taking wire off some of my trees,not the job I like doing.

The first to be done was this Boulevard Cypress.


The branches have now set, so I can now work on the foliage pads. The weeds were also removed from the top of the compost.


These two Chinese Junipers were also dewired.


As was this Chinese Juniper.


A good job done.




Sunday, 15 January 2017

Turn table.

Having been given a base off a swivel chair, I have turned it into another turn table for working on the trees.


Just some bits of decking board and a few screws.
Not only swivels but lifts and lowers as well.
It will be useful in the workshop.

Friday, 13 January 2017

Blizzard conditions.

Well it looks like the forecast for snow last night was slightly wrong.


So the trees will remain on the benches a bit longer.

Thursday, 12 January 2017

Bonsai Thursday with Dave.

A very cold day with the forecast of snow sometime today, but Dave and I had a good day in the studio, working on his Yew tree.

This tree was repotted last year and just left to recover, as it is now showing really good colour and health we decided to wire and style it today.


After the work was finished and a slight change in planting angle it now looks like a tree, rather than a bush.


The extra length on the Shari has just been drawn on with chalk to show how it will be done in the future.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017

Two more Larch.

Today John R brought two Larch trees over to get some advice on, which I was able to help with and he went away quite happy.
---------------------------------------------------
This one, John has grown from seed he planted in 1991, was already wired and styled.


This second one, also from seed in 1989, and still to be wired and styled.
John thought it needs some foliage between the first and second branch on the left and has left the small extension that can be seen. I suggested a thread graft to enable a new branch to be grown into that area, which he thought was a good idea, and will do it in the spring time before the buds start to swell.


Two very nice trees.