Message to visitors

Welcome to my blog. My diary of my life in the Bonsai world.
Please click on photos for full size view, and feel free to leave a comment, good or bad.!!







Sunday, 30 November 2014

Windswept Larch.

I have just finished rewiring my Windswept Larch and also removed a couple of unwanted branches.

How it was before work commenced.

Almost finished as the left hand branch that I jinned has been shortened quite a lot.

This is the view looking into the wind.

Quite pleased with the outcome.


Saturday, 29 November 2014

Small Larch.

I have been doing a little work on this small Larch this morning and I am pleased with the out come.


Even mediocre material can be made to look quite good.



Friday, 28 November 2014

Jin repair.

Started on Monday at my natter night was a repair on this Jin on a Chinese Juniper.

This is before any work was started, the Jin was broken and almost falling off and starting to rot.

Another piece of deadwood was used to brace the crack, then the gaps that were left were filled with glue and scraps of deadwood . After it all dried and hardened off it was then blended in using a small power tool.

Then coated with lime sulpher to protect the finished repair.

The Jin is now a lot stronger and will last for a long time.



Thursday, 27 November 2014

Lighting.

I have been playing around with the camera again, trying to see the difference lighting makes.

My Squamata with natural light.

With strip lights on.
 With the flash

I am not sure which one I prefer, or which one is the true colour.


Wednesday, 26 November 2014

More help needed.

Another pot for some help to identify.

No marks showing, but someone may know by the glaze.




Mike R has been looking really close at some marks on the bottom, something like this.
We would be grateful if you can help.

Once again thanks for any help.


Tuesday, 25 November 2014

Help wanted.

Can anyone please help to identify these two pots.







Both feel like nice quality , but I would love to know who made them.




Natter night 24th Nov 2014.

Last night was another of those really busy ones with about ten visitors and quite a lot of trees to work on as well

This small Temple Juniper was brought by Sue.

As was this Chinese Juniper.

Mike B brought this Chinese Juniper for some work on some damaged Jin.

Dave R fabricated a piece of deadwood to fill a gap in the Jin at the top of the tree, this had a double effect of putting the Jin back in place and also bracing it.

This is the Jin, which was hit by a football and broken almost to a point of knocking it off.

The added deadwood brace stuck into place.

After a night of curing the glue has done it's job and the Jin is now very stable.

Here are four of my own trees which I made into this display for the night.
A Chinese Juniper, two Procumbens Juniper's and a small Hinoki Cypress.

The small Hinoki Cypress at the front was given a repot and not before time, looking at the roots.

Now in it's new pot.

Again a very busy and enjoyable night.









Saturday, 22 November 2014

Procumbens Juniper.

A little more work on another of my Procumbens Juniper's.

This was shortly after I added it to my collection.

Now after potting into a Walsal studio ceramics pot.


After a little bit of clipping.


I like the way this tree is progressing.


Friday, 21 November 2014

Another Bonsai day.

Yesterday Mike R and my self had another afternoon of Bonsai in my studio.

While looking in the greenhouse at my Dawn Redwood , which is a little bedraggled, I noticed these fungi growing on the surface of the roots.

While they look nice I hope they are not doing any harm to the roots.

It would be a waste of time removing them, as the spores will be in the compost and will just grow again.

We also chose a new pot for my Procumbens Juniper.

I have had this pot in mind for a long time now and really like they way the tree looks in it.
I also gave the tree a clip out to refine the pads a little. 




Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Larch update.

I have done a little work on this quite tall Larch today.


I removed a large branch which was above the one on the bottom left, because it was at a right angle to the trunk and very thick.
I have also done a bit of wiring to rearrange the apex and think it looks better.
This tree will be repotted in the spring time.

Tuesday, 18 November 2014

Natter night 17th Nov 2914.

Well it was one of them busy days again, with nine visitors from lunch time onward, the last ones leaving about ten thirty.

Ken M brought his small Rhodie back to show us the flowers that have now opened.

I decided to change the Jin on the right side of my Squamata Juniper, for one that is a better size.

Once it has blended in and the Jin seal weathers a little, it will look a lot better.

A close up of the join.

Also some work on Shari.

Mike R saw something special in this small Cotoneaster and decided to work on it.


By changing the pot and planting angle he has created an interesting tree.

Some of the tools he used to get the tree into that small pot.

A very interesting project for the future.

All it needs now is a lot of after care.

Standing room only in the studio.

If I get many more visitors I will need an extension on the studio.

Friendship and togetherness.

Along with a common love of Bonsai.